Water was and still is everywhere in the Lachine borough originally named Saint-Sulpice. The Lac Saint-Louis, the St-Lawrence river and the Lac Saint-Pierre where the Lachine Canal is now located each played an important role in the life of our early explorers, traders and settlers.
Jacques Cartier around 1534 and Robert Cavelier de La Salle around 1667 were both sure that the "great Canadian River" the Sault-Saint-Louis Rapids of today would take them to "la Chine" French for China and a name that was eventually adopted in 1678.
The Lachine Canal, a major communication channel, favored the industrial development of the City of Lachine, soon followed by a major urban redevelopment.A Canal that goes through the southwestern part of the Island of Montreal from the Old Port to the Lachine borough and into the Lake St-Louis now exclusively used for recreational boating.
The commercial sector of the Lachine borough sort of experienced an interesting shopping and tourist revival in the last few years. A revival that appeals to the residents and that brings many visitors, old and new.
The Lachine Galleries offer a wide range of local products and services, while the St-Joseph boulevard, east of 21st Avenue offers an interesting variety of boutiques, bistros and shops tended by artists and artisans. Also interesting is the commercial sector of Notre-Dame Street with its variety of fancy products and elegant services.
Today, three industrial zones continue to play an important business role in the Lachine borough largely because of its large network of railroads and highways and to the Dorval airport.
First the eastern industrial zone located on the extreme east of the borough, south of Highway 20. Second the Norman street industrial zone located north of Highway 20, between the St-Pierre area and the CN Taschereau railway yard.
Third, the largest industrial concentration of the Lachien borough is located north of Highway 20, close to the Montreal-Trudeau airport and at the crossroads of two major highways, Highways 13 and 20 and Route 520.
Nowadays, the Lachine Canal is where cyclists, joggers, pedestrians
tourists enjoy the scenery and its many different colors depending on
the season. A nice urban route that runs between the Old Port and Lake
St-Louis and a navigable waterway divided into five locks.
The banks of the Lachine Canal represent a link between city and nature. A linear green urban park lined with the vestiges of the industrial days in what was the City of Lachine until 2002. Many different scheduled activities and a great place to experience with family and friends all year round.
A rather large number of bus routes connect the Lachine Borough to the Lionel-Groulx station on the Green and Orange lines or to the Angrignon station on the Green line. More detailed information can be obtained from the STM the Société des Transports de Montréal.
The borough is also served by two commuter train lines, the Vaudreuil-Hudson line from the Lachine train station and the Montreal / Dorion-Rigaud commuter train line. More information can be obtained from EXO Network.
The Lachine residents can also take advantage of a shared taxibus service, Monday to Friday, to the Lachine train station in the morning and from the station in the evening.
The Quebec Highway 20 divides the Lachine borough into two sectors. The northern sector of the highway mostly characterized by a modern industrial park and the southern sector almost completely residential.
Urban areas, residential and industrial, that now reflect the historical configurations of what used to be Saint-Sulpice. New urban areas where some of the old industrial sectors are being decontaminated and where residential development projects took place.
The Vieux-Lachine, the Saint-Pierre district and several other areas have improved in quality and value thanks to many investments in residential restoration and to the redevelopment of several areas into medium to high density residences.