Metro Orange Line 2

Montreal Metro Orange Line 2 with a total of 31 metro stations divided into 3 Metro Orange pages and information. 


Laurier Metro Station

Opened: October 1966. Origin of the Name: The Laurier Avenue and the Laurier Metro Station are both named after Sir Wilfrid Laurier (1841-1919), leader of the Liberal party from 1887 to 1919 and Prime Minister of Canada from 1896 to 1911. 

550x738Montreal Photo RLB

Specific Aspect: Some of the seats along the station are lower so children can sit. Entrance-Exit: St-Joseph Boulevard and Laurier Avenue. Bicycle Parking Space: 185 bicycle stands are available outside the station. 


Mont-Royal Metro Station

Opened: October 1966. Origin of the Name: The Avenue and the Metro Station refer to the Mount-Royal west of downtown Montreal. A hill for some, a small mountain for others named by French navigator Jacques Cartier in 1535

550x733Montreal Photo RLB

Specific Aspect: Bot Mont-Royal station and Bonaventure stations were designed by architect Victor Prus and both feature the same kind of brick walls. Entrance-Exit: Mont-Royal Avenue East. Bicycle Parking Space: 245 bicycle stands are available outside the station


Sherbrooke Metro Orange Line 2

Opened: October 1966. Origin of the Name: Sherbrooke Street and Station are named after Sir John Coape Sherbrooke (1764-1830), Governor General (1816 to 1818) of the then British North America.

550x733Montreal Photo RLB

Specific Aspect: Initially, the name of the station was to be Cherrier after François Cherrier, a Roman Catholic priest and vicar general born in Longueuil, Qc in 1745. Entrance-Exit: Berri Street East and West. Bicycle Parking Space: 28 bicycle stands are available outside the station. 


Berri-UQAM Metro Station

Opened: The Green and the Orange lines opened in October 1966 and the Yellow line opened in April 1967.

Origin of the Name: Berri may come from Simon Després also known as Le Berry, owner of a land circa 1660 where part of the Berri street and the Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM-1968) are now located. 

550x733Montreal Photo RLB

Specific Aspect: From 1966 to 1987 the metro station was called Berri-de-Montigny and the elevators of the Berri-UQAM station only served the Orange and the Green lines.

Entrance-Exit from Berri Street, Ste-Catherine Street, de Maisonneuve Boulevard and St-Denis Street with or without access to an elevator. Other entrance/exit also include La Grande Bibliothèque and l'UQAM. 


Champ-de-Mars Metro Station

Opened: October 1966. Origin of the Name: Champ-de-Mars as in Campus Martius and as in the Roman God of Wars used in Rome to designate an open space where military maneuvers were held.

A Champ-de-Mars once a fortress demolished at the beginning of the 19th century followed by the construction of a military parade ground.

550x413Montreal Photo RLB

Specific Aspect: The Champ-de-Mars station is part of the initial metro network and the only station with a platform lighted by the sun. Entrance-Exit: Sanguinet Street with an elevator access. Bicycle Parking Space: None it seems.


Place d'Armes Metro Orange Line 2

Opened: October 1966. Origin of the Name: Place d'Armes is a square located in Old Montreal with a monument of Paul de Chomedey, Sieur de Maisonneuve founder of the Ville-Marie Fort in New France now called Montreal in the province of Quebec.

550x733Montreal Photo RLB

Specific Aspect: From October 1966 to February 1967, the Place d'Armes station was the terminus for the Orange line. Entrance-Exit: St-Urbain Street with an elevator access. Bicycle Parking Space: 14 bicycle stands are available outside the station. 


Square Victoria Metro Station

Opened: Febrtuary 1967. Bicycle Parking Space: 10 bicycle stands are available outside the station.

Origin of the Name: The Square Victoria commemorates Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Monarch of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (1837-1901) since 1860.

550x733Montreal Photo RLB

Specific Aspect:  The head office of the OACI, the French acronym for the International Civil Aviation Organization is located near the Square Victoria station.

Entrance-Exit: St-Antoine Street West, St-Jacques Street West, Viger West Avenue, Belmont Street along with the Centre de Commerce Mondial, Place de la Cité Internationale, Place Victoria and Tour Banque Nationale. 


Bonaventure Metro Station

Opened: February 1967.

Origin of the Name: both the Bonaventure Street and the former Bonaventure train station refer to Giovanni di Fidanza (1221-1274), St. Bonaventure, theologian, philosopher and a mystic Franciscan.

550x745Montreal Photo RLB

Specific Aspect: The Bonaventure station served as a terminus for the Orange line from February 1967 to April 1980. Bicycle Parking Space: None it seems.

Entrance-Exit: Interior access to the Place Bonaventure, the Château Champlain Hotel, the 1000 de la Gauchetière, the 1250 René-Lévesque and exterior access from de la Cathédrale Street.


Lucien-L'Allier Metro Orange Line 2

Opened: April 1980.

Origin of the Name: Lucien-L'Allier Street and Metro Station named after Lucien L'Allier (1909-1978), chief engineer for the initial network of the Montréal métro and chairman of the Montreal Transit Commission from 1964 to 1974.

550x733Montreal Photo RLB

Specific Aspect: The station was first supposed to be named Aqueduc. Entrance-Exit: Lucien-L'Allier Street. Bicycle Parking Space:bicycle stands are available outside the station.  


Georges-Vanier Metro Orange Line 2

Opened: April 1980. Origin of the Name: boulevard Georges-Vanier Boulevard commemorates General Georges-Philias Vanier (1888-1967), lawyer, military, diplomat and Governor General of Canada from 1959 to 1967.

550x733Montreal Photo RLB

Specific Aspect: The Georges-Vanier station is the only station that is not served by any bus line. Entrance-Exit: St-Antoine Street West. Bicycle Parking Space: 14 bicycle stands are available outside the station.


Lionel-Groulx Metro Station

Opened: The Green Line in September 1978 and the Orange Line in April 1980.

Origin of the Name: Lionel-Groulx Avenue, commemorates clergyman Lionel Groulx (1878-1967), who founded the Institut d'histoire de l'Amérique française in 1946.

550x413Montreal Photo RLB

Specific Aspect: At first, the name of this station was to be Albert. Entrance-Exit: Atwater Street. Bicycle Parking Space: 95 bicycle stands are available outside the station. 

Metro Orange Line 1 / Metro Orange Line 3

Montreal URBAN Kit
Metro Orange Line 2 by Rachel Louise Barry

40x40
40x40
40x40
40x40
40x40
40x40

Solo Build It!