Cultural Behavior 1
A series of Montreal cultural behavior 1 to 12 in Montreal by Montreallers and the reasons why they are so important.
- Avoid raising your voice and getting into conflict with partners or clients.
- Our society favors settling disputes through negotiation.
- Personal or disrespectful statements can spoil a business relation.
- The violent expression of ethnic, political or religious rivalry and hatred is not tolerated.
- We do not tolerate ironic remarks, sarcasms or mockeries either.
- We do not accept aggressive behavior, argumentative conversations or heated discussions, especially in public.
- In our society, people who stay calm are highly regarded.
- A simple verbal agreement can seal a commercial collaboration or a minor contract.
- When major contracts are involved, the agreements are ratified in writing.
- Agreements can be quickly made but can also be quickly undone.
- Agreements between business people are based on professional benefits.
- We do not feel bound to agreements that do not bring satisfaction and achievement.
- We usually set up meetings or arrange visits in advance.
- It is not common to arrive without an invitation.
- Always be punctual for meetings and appointments. If you are going to be late, always advise.
- We will not wait more than 10 to 15 minutes for someone who is late.
- We tend to be open and friendly.
- Our personal and business relations are usually trustful and informal.
- A simple verbal arrangement can seal a cooperation or a minor commercial contract.
- When major contracts are involved, the arrangements are ratified in writing.
- We do not make deals because of our social bonds, we make deals because we find it worth our while.
- In our society, personal and business relations are two different game plans.
- If we can assist you in something, we will.
- If we cannot assist you, we will introduce you to someone who can.
- Someone with proper knowledge and skills will, in due course, assist you.
- We will not expect a gift in return.
In our series of Montreal cultural behavior 1 to 12, some are related to culture issues, others to professional behavior and many are typically local.
Being familiar with the cultural diversity of an organization and of its surroundings does bring important advantages such as great connections with coworkers, increased creativity and job satisfaction.
Montreal GLOBAL Kit
Cultural Behavior 1 by Rachel Louise Barry
You may also wish to visit Global Affairs Canada- Cultural Information