Cross Cultural Solutions 4
Behind our cross cultural solutions 4 is the
founder of the European Community, Jean Monnet who once declared: "If
I were again facing the challenge to integrate Europe, I would
probably start with culture".
Culture is the context in which things happen; out of context, even
legal matters lack significance.
- We do not like to be told that we are like Americans.
- We are calmer and more pragmatic than Americans. It comes from our English ancestry.
- We appreciate when people are conscious of our specific values, customs and traditions
- Almost seven out of ten Montrealers speak French.
- Half of our local population is bilingual in French and in English.
speak French and/or English with a local accent you might find disconcerting at first.
anglophones have become bilingual, immigrants are trilingual and
francophones have walked out of their cultural ghetto.
are opened immediately after they are received.
should reflect the image of your company.
- Gifts that are unique to your home country or region will always be appreciated.
should not be too expensive, ambiguous or subject to
employees cannot accept donations or presents in any way related to
- When possible, offer a gift that corresponds to the receiver’s tastes.
you are giving flowers, avoid red roses as they have romantic
connotations, and white lilies or chrysanthemums as they are
associated with funerals.
and kissing are not current business practices.
person in a higher position of authority or age should be the first
to extend a hand.
is not relevant. Men or women hold out their hand first.
are very present during first encounters as well as upon arrivals
should be frank, open, firm but not overpowering.
establish contact when someone is introduced or when an agreement is
- In Montreal we grant a lot of importance to courtesy and equality.
- It is not the title of a person or his or her status that determines our respect.
- Although present, hierarchy is less important than knowledge, expertise and decision-making ability.
- Our attitude towards hierarchy tends to be respectful and friendly rather than formal.
The multicultural character of the City of Montreal offers a wide range of cross cultural solutions 4 as well as a host of cultural experiences and possibilities. The most visible being our culinary and cultural expressions such as our writings, our music, our cinema, our clothes...
Montreal BUSINESS KIT
Cross Cultural Solutions 4 by Rachel Louise Barry