Business Manners 2
Business manners 2 as in culture topics and professional behavior, local values and social habits. A cultural competence mixed with a proper cultural behavior and the ability to relate to many different situations.
- When you promise a service or a price we expect you to keep your word.
- A specific type of promise we perceive as a binding agreement.
- Honour your commitments. Do what you say you will do.
- Your credibility or the value of your word will be affected if you do not deliver as promised.
- Common courtesies such as smiling and greeting people are expected and appreciated.
- Direct eye contact is valued during conversations. It demonstrates sincerity and interest.
- If a woman asks you a question, make eye contact and direct your response to her.
- We maintain a distance of approximately 60 cm or 3 feet between each other.
- We feel uncomfortable when our personel space is invaded.
- We rarely touch each other while conversing.
- We exchange business cards, but remain selective. We do it when we wish to stay in relation with someone.
- The exchange is usually done at the end of a meeting rather than at the beginning.
- If you offer your business card we will offer ours in return. We may also wait until you ask us for one.
- We will often hand it over without paying much attention. Do not be offended, it is only because we do business in a rather informal way.
- The use of French on one side and English on the other is acceptable.
- Be punctual, approachable and accessible.
- Know how to introduce yourself.
- Set up meetings or arrange visits. Do not arrive without an invitation.
- Be polite and friendly in hallways and return phone calls.
- Simply out of courtesy 2, do master French, read, write and speak.
- A business lunch sometimes serves as a preparation for a negotiation.
- A business lunch is offered to maintain a good business relation and partnership.
- Most of the time, we will entertain in a restaurant and during lunch hour.
- Lunch is usually light, without alcool and will last about one hour and a half.
Business manners 2 are not without incongruities.
- We can order and receive a pizza faster than when we call for an ambulance.
- In our drug stores, the pharmacists and all the prescription drugs are way back while the cigarette counter is close to the entrance and to the cash.
- It is not unusual for some of us to order a double cheese burger, a large fries and ... a diet coke.